How does one care for their hats? Here are a few basics:
- Store your hat out of the direct sun. Many hats have been bleached and ruined by the sun. Once faded, they are difficult to repair. Obviously, one wears summer hats in the sun, but when not wearing your hat, display and keep it out of the sun.
- Try to keep your hat in a hat box. This keeps the dust and light off the hat.
- Never wear foundation make-up on your forehead. Many hats get make-up stains on the inner band of the hats. Once a hat is stained, it is hard to fix.
- Hats are not toys. Often, people let small children play with their hats and the hats are ruined.
- If children are around the hats, show them how to pick up the hats by the brim, carefully. Never pick up a hat by the crown.
- If shipping a hat, pack it carefully and ship it in a hat box.
- Be careful with hairspray. It can stain hats and leave a residue. The great thing about wearing a hat is that you don’t have to worry about your hair as much.
Follow these tips and your hats should stay in great shape for many years to come!
By Polly Singer